Why work at Barnardos?
At Barnardos we seek to ensure that we have the best people working with us to support our work with children and families. The benefits of working with Barnardos are designed to promote continual professional development and a work-life balance for the most rewarding working experience.
- Barnardos offers a competitive salary – recognising the experience you bring to the role
- Generous annual leave entitlements plus discretionary Company days
- Positive working environment with family friendly ethos and work - life balance policy
- Tax saver and bike to work schemes in operation
- Employee pension scheme with employer contribution
- Paid sick leave
- An opportunity to help improve outcomes for vulnerable children and families by working in a trauma informed way
- Access to regular trauma informed support and supervision
- Ongoing support and access to training and professional development opportunities
- An opportunity to be part of a supportive team
- Access to the Employee Assistance Program for employees and their immediate family members
- Regular Breath, Body and mind sessions to support staff well-being
What is Barnardos?
Barnardos supports children whose well -being is under threat, by working with them, their families and communities and by campaigning for the rights of children. Barnardos was established in Ireland in 1962 and is the leading children’s charity in Ireland.
What does Barnardos Retail Network do?
Barnardos has 7 shops and one central warehouse which is based in Ballycoolin, Dublin 15. The aim of our network of shops is a community based initiative to sell donated stock (both brand new and pre-loved) to support a circular economy and raise funds which are used to provide services to children and families in Ireland.
Our shops are based in the following locations in Dublin – Dalkey, Dún Laoghaire, Clondalkin, and Kilbarrack. As well as in Carlow, Wexford and Cork City. The Wexford and Dún Laoghaire stores are stockists of bridal-wear which is donated by designers, wholesalers and retailers. Barnardos believes in effective partnerships with a commercial awareness in the retail space working collaboratively to maximise positive outcomes for children and young people. Barnardos retail is also becoming more active in the online space and was recently awarded the Charity shop online presence of the year for 2021 from Charity Retail Ireland.
What will the Manager of the Dun Laoghaire Shop do?
Barnardos are seeking a dedicated and experienced Retail Manager to manage the shop in an efficient and pro active manner, building Barnardos relationships including those within the local community while maximizing sales in support of Barnardos’ work with vulnerable children and families.
Where can I find out more?
Retail Shop Manager
Post: Shop Manager
Location: Dun Laoghaire, South Dublin
Responsible to: Retail Development Manager
Works with: Barnardos staff, retail team, fundraising department, volunteers, community employment participants,
To manage the shop in an efficient, creative and proactive manner and to maximise profit to support Barnardos’ work with children and families in Ireland.
Core Job Requirements
- Manage and develop the shop in the context of an agreed work plan and work to achieve sales targets.
- Recruit, train and supervise a diverse team of shop staff both paid and voluntary to maximise performance. Engage in training requested by Line Manager and arrange team meetings as required.
- Maintain an efficient, accurate and up to date recording system across all areas required by Barnardos retail office. Responsible for the full implementation of the Barnardos Health and Safety policy.
- Ensure there are adequate staffing levels in the shop at all time.
- Ensure the appearance of the shop (both internally and externally) is attractive, displaying product at its best.Staffing of the Bridal Rooms ensuring best customer experience stock, presentation and developing an awareness of on-trend looks in bridalwear.
- Responsible for merchandise including: security of stock, preparation for sale, and displays.
- Provide innovative ideas to source product for sale in shop. Manage donor & customer relations to a high standard of professionalism & courtesy.
- Ensure the retail team has adequate information on Barnardos’ Services and staff are briefed accordingly to assist with queries from donors and customers.
- Supervise students and volunteers where necessary and to ensure they are aware of all Barnardos policies and compile placement reports as appropriate. Ensuring they feel part of the shop team and the larger Barnardos organisation and appreciation of their input.
- Gather information statistics and prepare reports, as required, including administration of databases as appropriate to the role and to pay attention to all correspondence from the retail and national offices.
Requirements Specific to this Post
- Actively work to ensure the shop and therefore Barnardos is embedded in the community by building relationships with local community groups & bodies.
- Promote the shop in the community by seeking out and availing of any local marketing and publicity that may become available
- Be actively involved in any local festivals/events that can promote the shop and build on the goodwill and positive relationships within the community.
- Network with groups locally to build awareness of the shop and as part of the community
- Organise events at least twice a year within the shop based on such as Glam event, book event in addition to winter/summer changeover events. Some late-night work may be involved in this.
- Br reasonably flexible in relation to temporary branch transfer in the event required by management from time to time
- Flexibility with days/hours is required. Sunday work may be required from time to time.
Requirements of all Barnardos staff
- Commitment to the purpose of Barnardos and to work within the values, policies and procedures of the organisation and in the context of current legislation and regulations.
- To participate in regular meetings with your line manager and retail team
- To actively participate in team and staff meetings and service reviews/ evaluations and to contribute to the development of policy and practice with your area of work and within Barnardos as a whole.
- To report any area of concern to your line manager in a timely manner.
- To show reasonable flexibility in relation to hours of attendance to meet the needs of the work. Work during unsocial hours may be required on some occasions.
- Have a flexible approach to the work in response to organisational change, development and review of best practice.
- Participate in and engage with a performance management programme.
- Identify training needs with your line manager and participate in training opportunities appropriate to the role.
- To be vigilant to any Health, Safety and Welfare risks in the workplace and bring any concerns to the attention of your line manager or local Health & Safety Officer.
- To be vigilant to any concerns regarding the protection and welfare of children and to bring them to the attention of the Barnardos Designated Person in a timely manner, in keeping with the Barnardos Child Protection policies.
- To participate in the efficient flow of information within the organisation by sharing and seeking information as appropriate.
- To undertake other duties as may be requested by the line manager from time to time.
- To undertake your work in a manner that is friendly, flexible and informal.
Note: this Job Description will be reviewed and updated in line with the needs of the work.
- Commitment to the contribution of the shop to Barnardos’ work with children and families
- Excellent interpersonal skills and sales techniques
- Commitment and ability to achieve targets
- Ability to manage, motivate and organise staff
- Ability to deal appropriately and sensitively with queries about Barnardos’ services
- Strong financial ability and attention to detail
- Ability to deal with customers and manage volunteers
- Strong negotiating skills
- Minimum of 2 years retail experience, at least one of which has been in a supervisory, management role.
Qualifications and skills
- Relevant training in retail management/merchandising display and customer service would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in stock management & merchandising with a good eye for creative visual merchandising within the shop and also window displays.
The post-holder is initially assigned to work in the Dun Laoghaire Shop but may be required in the future to work in other locations in the Dublin area in line with organisational needs.
Barnardos is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
For full job description and to apply please visit Current Job Vacancies – Barnardos
Closing date: 12pm Friday 8 December 2023
Interview date: To be Confirmed
Shortlisting will apply (please note, CVs are not accepted on their own, candidates must complete and submit our application form through Barnardos website).